IVCH Center for Physical Rehabilitation and Aquatics at the YMCA
Center for Physical Rehabilitation and Aquatics
Located in the Miller Building at the Illinois Valley YMCA in Peru, the IVCH Center for Physical Rehabilitation and Aquatics rehab center has services and equipment not often found at hospitals outside larger metropolitan areas.
You’ll notice the difference
The two-story, 15,000-square-foot center has more than 30 pieces of new therapy equipment. Some of the new therapy devices—like a deweighting system that allows patients to exercise even though their ability to walk is severely impaired—is new to the Illinois Valley area.
The center has a first-of-its-kind-in-the-Illinois Valley warm water (the temperature is always between 89 and 92 degrees) therapy pool that has 1,500 square feet of usable water space.
The rehab center was designed with the needs of disabled individuals in mind.
- The entrance is under a canopy that allows patients to be driven to within a few feet of the automatic electric doorway. There are no steps and the entryway is completely level. Parking is close by.
- All of the exam rooms are large—11 by 12 feet—and easily accessible by wheelchair.
- The treatment area is large and open.
- The pool has a hydraulic lift to help patients in and out of the water, plus there is a railing in the pool.
All rehab services
The new rehab center is now the home for all of IVCH’s outpatient physical rehabilitation services, so it is for patients who need:
- Outpatient physical therapy
- Industrial rehabilitation
- Sports medicine—Dr. Robert Mitchell, an orthopedic surgeon, has a walk-in sports clinic at the center each Monday afternoon. The center even has an indoor batting cage.
- Massage therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy—including a two-way window for pediatric patients